Tuesday, January 27, 2004

Child Executions:

The U.S. Supreme Court is about to rule on the constitutionality of child executions in the U.S. This is being examined under the cruel and unusual punishment clauses of the constitution. Frankly, it's about time. Amnesty International argues against it as they state that a child can be rehabilitated and as such should be given that chance. I'm not sure that all children can in fact be rehabilitated, but I'm not convinced that it really makes any difference. I simply have a moral problem with killing children. This does not overlook the fact that a child can be every bit as monstrous as an adult. I also wonder how much of this monstrosity is the result of environment and how much genetic. I have heard good arguments for both. I would imagine a child whose mind is more damaged by genetics might be much harder to repair. In any case it will be very interesting to hear what the court decides.

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogwise - blog directory