Sunday, September 26, 2004

A Cop's Life

A Winnipeg police officer took his life while on duty the other day. What surprises me is that this doesn't happen much more often than it does. I once considered trying to become a cop when I was much younger. I quickly saw the light. Police officers in Canada have a very difficult job. They spend significant effort investigating a crime. Then they find the bad guy, arrest him and hand him over to the courts. Usually he can see him again within two days right back where he was when arrested. If the criminal gets any jail time, it will be short, even for violent crimes. A criminal must commit many serious crimes here before ever getting a lengthy sentence. If I were a cop, having to risk life and limb on the job, this would be enough to drive me completely crazy. It's the equivalent of saying the cops life is worth very little. Is it any wonder that after years of service a cop might end up with a pretty bad attitude. Hell, if I were in their position, it might very well make me want to shoot first and ask questions later. The result of it all is too produce veteran officers with a great deal of psychological problems and stress. We must make our laws more strict when it comes to certain crimes. Why not give the law some teeth and make the country a better place for not just for the cops, but for everyone.

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogwise - blog directory