Tuesday, November 23, 2004

And on An Environmental Note

See, I always thought, with some notable exceptions, that Canada's record on the environment was pretty good. But reportedly not that good. The Conservation Congress in Bangkok has requested that Canada pay better attention to protecting our Boreal Forest. I suppose the fact that it is so far north always led me to believe that it was fairly safe from human damage. Leads me to think that the only reason it is in such good shape today has more to do with our small population and large size than because of any intentional effort to preserve it. So much for holding my head up over that one.

The Grand Canyon is being deliberately flooded in the hopes of restoring some of the natural sediment that has been lost since the Colorado River became so extensively dammed. It has been long recognized that the area was becoming more and more salinated as a result of the reduction in volume of water that flows through the southern portions. Half the species of fish that used to be there are now extinct and scientists are now trying to save the rest. I actually first heard of the problem in the seventies while living in Colorado Springs. I hope this effort proves successful and that they will repeat it much more often.

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogwise - blog directory