Monday, November 22, 2004

N.B.A. Takes a Stand

Does anybody know what actually happened with this one. From the T.V. news I can't tell who started what and what happened after. What I did see was a player attacking several fans. It's comforting to see the NBA take quick action over the matter, and serious action at that. The NHL might want to take notice. Pro sports lost me as a fan many years ago. The reason.... the cost of going to see them, and what we get for our money. Even when I do watch, it's from home, where I can have my beer, get the best view, and not spend a hundred bucks. The pay that a lot of these guys make is obscene when you consider that they are hardly saving the world. While I admit that a pro sports player should make enough to offset the risk they take of injury, and that not all players are paid these crazy amounts, the price of a ticket has far passed the ability of the average person to afford. In hockey in particular, we get to watch criminal offense after offense in the process of any given game, usually complete with assault with a weapon. Suffice to say, I won't be taking my kids anytime soon, and that's the real shame. My daughter loves to watch pro hockey, and asks often to go. I try to explain my opposition, but this means very little to a young girl who loves the game. She is lucky enough to have a couple of uncles who often take her, but even so, I still take exception to the type of violence that she will see there. So, hats off to the NBA and the stand they seem to be taking on this one. We all deserve better for our money. Criminal acts have no place in pro sports, and it's far past time that these leagues take a more responsible approach to the problem.

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogwise - blog directory