Friday, November 26, 2004

Ontario Starts to Right the Wrong

I was extremely surprised by this one. Apparently, it has long been legal in Ontario to hunt wolves without limit and with no season. This is incredible considering that I have seen many wild animals in my life living in Ontario and that includes everything from wild turkeys to moose, but the one thing I have never seen is a wild wolf. To think that in this day and age that they are being hunted without limit is criminal. I would have thought that in a province as progressive as this one, this oversight would have been corrected long ago. Alas, it was not. Better late than never I suppose. Ontario is now prepared to correct the error by introducing limits. Wolf populations all over the world have been in decline for decades and this correction should have come much sooner. Wolves have long been misunderstood, and it shows my own level of ignorance to have not been aware of this problem before today. Even in Algonquin Park they have been in decline and park officials have been working for years to try and save the Red Wolf. This in a provincial park where they are protected. I can only imagine what it must have taken for authorities to come to this decision. I hope that they are not too late.

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogwise - blog directory