Sunday, June 05, 2005

Tom Sloan Says His Last Farewell

I met Tom about twelve years ago now. He passed away late Friday Night after a long fight with cancer. The things that struck me most about the man were his vast knowledge and intelligence, not to mention a very strong inclination to social responsibility and compassion. In short, the man was several rungs up the evolutionary ladder than yours truly. I'll miss his advice, I'll miss his humour! He was once described by Frank Magazine as the conscious of the Conservative Party. I think he was much more than that. He could have given some great advice to all Canadians, not just the Conservatives. He was a member a Stanfield's Team way back when, and a Journalist all his life. I'll miss the July 1sts that we've shared these past years, not to mention the Christmas celebrations. He was my father-in-law, he was my friend. I have enjoyed some of the best moments of my life while visiting with him. I was lucky enough to have spent these times in his company. Canada as a whole is a lesser place for having lost this man. He was not an overly religious man, which makes his character all the more extraordinary as the qualities he displayed were developed out of his own sense of ethics rather than due to some externally applied persuasions. I don't know if there is a heaven or not. I do know that if there is, he was there in the blink of an eye following his death.

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogwise - blog directory